John Hauser, P.E., President
PROSAF's Principal Engineer and President is John Hauser. He has assisted clients in the areas of relief system design, consulting and training, PHA studies, risk assessment, process safety consulting, safety instrumented systems training and process design. Clients range from petroleum refining to petrochemicals to fine chemicals, pharmaceuticals and the steel industry. John is a Registered Professional Engineer in Pennsylvania, Illinois and Texas. In addition, he is certified as a Master PHA leader by the Process Safety Institute. (1996)
Prior to establishing PROSAF, he had 15 years experience with Exxon, Mobay (Bayer) and SE Technologies. His BS degree in chemical engineering was earned at Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh (1975).
At Mobay, his work included all phases of Process Safety: existing plant and new project safety reviews including HAZOP studies, developing guidelines, training and relief device vendor coordination. He specialized in overpressure protection systems and emergency shutdown systems.
At Exxon, his work included all phases of process design. He also had assignments in process development, energy conservation, startup, field and contractor followup.
Special ability to creatively analyze and solve technical problems; and the ability to motivate, interact with and supervise staff. Skilled in:
- Pressure safety technology including DIERS technology
- Process safety consulting and design review techniques including HAZOP
- Safety instrumented systems analysis and training
- Training in any of above disciplines
- Process safety regulatory compliance
- Process simulations
- Material balance development
- Related petrochemical processing equipment design and specifications
- Technical report writing
- Verbal and written communications
- Exxon Research and Engineering Co.
- Senior Process Design Engineer, 1975 to 1986
- Mobay Corporation
- Pressure Safety Systems Specialist, 1986 to 1990
- SE Technologies
- Principal Process Safety Engineer, 1990 to 1991
- PROSAF Inc.
- President and Principal Engineer, 1991 to Present
Certifications / Qualifications
- Registered Professional Engineer in Pennsylvania, Illinois and Texas
- Certified as a Master PHA leader by the Process Safety Institute
- Active participation (committee chair) in the Design Institute for Emergency Relief Systems (DIERS)
- Past services (Treasurer and Counselor) in the Pittsburgh Section, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Developed and conducted training in relief system design with over 30 presentations at four major clients.
- Relief system design and consulting for Abbott Laboratories, Alpharma, Amoco Chemical, Amoco Oil, Aristech Chemical, ARCO Chemical, Bayer, Bethlehem Steel, Biodiesel Systems, BP Oil, Cytec Industries, Exxon, Eastman Kodak, Flint Hills Resources, FMC, Hanford Site, II-VI Inc., Indianapolis Coke, Kemira, Lee College, Medusa Cement, Nova Chemical, PPG, Pressure Chemical, San Joaquin Refining, University of Rochester (NY) and USX, including numerous studies, calculations and reports. (1990 to present)
- Authored or modified the corporate over pressure protection engineering guidelines for 6 major corporate clients
- Completed at least 14 Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs) in the steel, chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Services included leader, facilitator and scribe; as well as providing process safety, pressure safety and process engineering expertise.
- Progressed PROSAF as the preferred supplier of ERS design/consulting at 2 major clients.
- Developed and presented Safety Instrumented Systems training 12 times.
- Progressed PROSAF as an acknowledged subject matter expert within the DIERS organization.
- Developed two-phase relief device and pipe sizing spreadsheet models.